March 30, 2006

TomBlog - A note on record

We've just made a different kind of gomez album: each gomez album is a different kind of gomez album. That is sort of the point of gomez. If we had a manifesto it would read something like: gomez will try really quite a bit more than somewhat to avoid doing the same thing twice. However, there have been many pitfalls in our approach. We've always felt that change is needed to avoid a kind of creative stagnation, but, as a policy, it definitely lends itself to all kinds of critical, artistic or commercial failure. We throw things out and see what sticks. C'est la vie for me.
We've just made a stylish, lyrical record. It's unlike every other gomez record and I'm incredibly proud of that. We left the bells and whistles of sound experimentation at home, and we tried hard to create a more universal kind of sound without losing our uniqueness. I really hope you all love it, indeed I'm very optimistic about that, but if you don't.... well, we'll be around making music forever and you can jump back on board somewhere else in the creative arc. There's a threadbare adage about all the people, all the time. And don't forget, don't just gomez, stay mez. (irony intended)
your friend, tom x

9 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

I've heard it. And I adore it.


Thank you.

1:37 PM  
Blogger goo-guy said...

I seem to remember Gomez getting some flak for Liquid Skin being too similar to Bring It On.

Music critics. They're never happy.

Loved Liquid Skin by the way, can't wait for the new album.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Mojo said...

cheers Tom.

great show at Housing Works Tuesday night...

4:39 PM  
Blogger hipster replacement said...

Tom:

I love that each Gomez album has a distinct personality; there is nothing for you to explain here. Do you think we want another Donald Fagen / Eric Clapton / Steve Winwood situation where a formula is discovered and driven into the ground? No way. Your lives change, your music changes. Simple as that. Stay Mez, but don't stay the same Mez...please!!

We love you guys no matter what

7:54 PM  
Blogger AndrewPeirce said...

I can easily say that this will definitely be the best album I'll hear this year. Hell, probably even this decade. It's a great album. I heard girlshapedlovedrug just yesterday and cried. Needless to say, I've got about five people lined up already for me to buy the album for and get them into Gomez. I'm counting down the days til it's released and can't wait til I've listened to it so much that I'll have to buy a new copy.

4:39 AM  
Blogger Leocadia said...

(Oh! Chamboo cried, that's so cute!)

I imagine the shittiest thing about being talented and diverse is that everybody expects different things from you, and there's little hope of satisfying all of them without compromising the overall quality of the thing you want to do. So, a toast to doing, to the best of your ability, whatever you want, whenever it suits you.

I feel like a total shithead for not being crazy about HWO right away, but hey, I still love you guys, and I'll be here for the whole of the arc, I promise.

Also, nice blog title today. Very clever.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Dolly said...

i'm listening to it right now....so far so good :O)

1:53 PM  
Blogger Marie F said...

GREAT. We can't wait to hear it- your Boston fan base is alive and well and tho we are training for a marathon here and didn't make your NY gigs, we will travel for music if you don't stop here. We have ordered your CD for us and for friends!

6:38 PM  
Blogger Viola D said...

Tom & Jimmy - please put "don't just gomez, stay mez" on a t-shirt!!!!!!! I beg you.

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home