February 23, 2010

"And now, time for something completely different..."

On a recent trip in England, I heard Hue Stephens on the Radio announcing his Welsh word of the day. There were many brilliant words that sounded like he was making it up as he went along! What a crazy sounding language. Anyway, this has inspired me to do a "Portmanteau of the day". It seems America can't get enough of them, though few people know the meaning of the word or use it.

- a portmanteau broadly means a blend of two or more words and their meanings into one new word.

One of my all time faves and a classic in it's own right is the Croissandwich. Genius. I was personally stuck for all those years not knowing what to ask for in the Deli. "Can I have one of those sandwiches...er not the ones in bread, but the ones where the outer shell is a croissant"..."oh you mean a Croissandwich Sir!". And hereby demonstrating how our lives get easier with the use of a portmanteau. My goodness.

Olly.


1 Comments:

Blogger fabien said...

Well, "porte-manteau" is a french word (hail Me !). It's where you put your coat (manteau means coat). I don't know how the welsh use it…

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home